Welcome to the Bright Ideas Blog Hop! I'm teaming up with the bloggers at the bottom of this post to share bright ideas for the classroom. My teaching tip is super simple, but sometimes the simplest ideas make the best solutions!
Who likes to sit in a hard chair all day? I know I don't, and my students never did either. Classroom carpets are nice, but there's never enough room on the carpet for everyone. Bean bags are fun, but they often split and leave the room littered with little white styrofoam pellets! Camp chairs to the rescue!
Seven Reasons to Use Camp Chairs in the Classroom
- Camp chairs are light and portable, easy for kids to grab and move.
- They fold up small enough that four or five of chairs can be stored in a corner of the room.
- Students can take them just about anywhere, making great use of all the little nooks and crannies in your classroom.
- Camp chairs make it easy to circle up for discussion groups and classroom book clubs.
- When students are reading alone, they can turn their chairs to face an empty wall to remove visual distractions.
- Students can take camp chairs outside to to get comfy when writing or working out of doors.
- Teachers can use them when they need to pull up a chair for a private reading conference with one student.
- Parent Donations - Put them on your school supply wish list for the classroom. They are quite inexpensive, especially at the end of the summer when school starts back, so parents will often donate them if you ask.
- DonorsChoose Grants - Write a DonorsChoose project proposal to obtain creative seating alternatives for your classroom. and include camp chairs as one option.
- Sporting Events and Concerts - If you live near an outdoor venue for sporting events or concerts, check with the management to see if you can have any chairs that are left behind after these events. I've been told that people frequently walk off and leave their chairs behind, and those chairs are given to anyone who wants them.
- Yard Sales and Flea Markets - Visit yard sales and flea markets to find bargains on camp chairs.
Ways to Use Camp Chairs
What are some creative seating solutions you use in your classroom?
I'm excited to be a part of the giant Bright Ideas Blog Hop! The next blogger is Rachel Lamb, The Tattooed Teacher. She's sharing some tips for using dry erase markers on desks. Click the image below which will take you to here blog! You can also use the links at the bottom of this post to find topics that interest you and hop directly to those blogs.